Please note: Map markers are approximate and for illustration purposes only.

Human Rights Abuses in Sudan Over the Month of September 2015



During the month of September our network of human rights monitors have verified 69 incidents of human rights abuses throughout three of the five states in Darfur, in addition to the states of Blue Nile, South Kordofan, and Al-Qadarif.

SUDO (UK) has assessed that the Government of Sudan is responsible for 34 of these incidents in the month of September, or almost half of the total abuses reported and verified by our monitors. This number includes acts committed by the Sudanese Air Force (7), Sudanese Armed Forces (1) Military Intelligence (7), the National Intelligence and Security Services (3), Government officials (2), the Falata ethnic militia (1 - direct Government support of the attack in Abugarin), the Rapid Support Forces (4), and the Border Guards (9). The latter two of which receive direct payment and protection from the Sudanese Government and are issued with military identity papers. Janjaweed militias were furthermore responsible for 29 instances of human rights abuses, the armed opposition two, and unknown parties committed four such acts.

Enclosed within the 69 incidents reported by monitors, SUDO (UK) has collected and recorded the following data:

Incidents and Trends Observed Over the Month of September

Militia of Badr Abu Keneish Attacking Civilians in North Darfur

A militia under the command of Badr Abu Keneish has been documented attacking civilians by SUDO (UK) monitors on at least six occasions over the month of September. Much of the militia’s activity has focused around the Kutum area in North Darfur where Badr Abu Keneish has been seen personally leading four assaults, three of which were on consecutive days running from the 17th to the 19th September on some 13 villages situated north of Kutum. During these attacks the militia killed 10 civilians, looted personal possessions and livestock, in addition to forcibly displacing civilians and causing them physical harm. Badr Abu Keneish furthermore forcibly displaced civilians from Abu Sakeen, North Darfur, on the 22nd September destroying water pumps, farmland and fruit trees in the process.

In addition to the four attacks launched by Badr Abu Keneish, monitors have addressed his link to a further two incidents. On the 20th September, seven members of a militia under the command of Ibrahim Awadain killed one IDP and abducted another, whilst on the 22nd September another militia under the command of Zakaria Hassan attacked Tawila market where his force killed nine civilians and injured one. Both militia leaders are under the command structure of Badr Abu Keneish. More information on the attacks can be found in the specific incident reports.

Transitional Darfur Authority Seeks to Empty Eight IDP Camps

The Transitional Darfur Authority has formed committees to empty eight IDP Camps in Kass against the wishes of the displaced population that are present. The camps are home to some 235,000 people, many of whom have expressed concern over their personal safety outside of the camps. The Authority is planning to send the IDPs to the areas of Gerlang Banj, Rotoki, and Korley, all of which have newly been occupied by other settlers.

Torture and Inhumane Detentions Continue in Blue Nile

During the month of September SUDO (UK) monitors reported that eight individuals were arrested by Military Intelligence, two of whom were subsequently tortured. The individuals in question were arrested for reasons ranging from suspected communication with the SPLM-N to no stated reason at all. Monitors have stated explicitly that three of these eight individuals have been detained in the containers within the Sudanese Armed Forces Fourth Division headquarters situated in Damazin. Already SUDO (UK) has been able to identify 25 of the individuals being held (see Blue Nile incident reports below) whilst monitors estimate there are at least a further 75 held in containers. As stated this inhumane form of detention is compounded by the detainees’ inability to leave the containers except to go to the toilet in the morning and the evening. Furthermore the detainees are unable to access a lawyer or their family members and are often denied medical treatment.

Killing of Three Community Leaders in South Kordofan, One Decapitated

Following the failure of the Government’s second decisive summer campaign to end the rebellion in the Nuba Mountains, the Government approached traditional leaders from the areas controlled by the SPLM-N to convince them to abandon their struggle and commit to peace.

Three leaders from rural localities in southern Kadugli accepted this call and left to meet with the SPLM-N in Al-Buram, the location of the largest SPLM-N camp. Three days after their departure they were found dead on the road leading to Al-Buram. One of the leaders had been decapitated. Sources indicate that members from the SPLM-N are responsible for their deaths.

Aerial Bombardment by the Sudanese Government in South Kordofan

In the month of September SUDO (UK) monitors have identified six incidents of aerial bombardment on at least 10 villages between the 12th September and the 29th September. Antonov Planes were utilised for such attacks on four occasions bombarding eight villages, one of which delivered 11 barrel bombs. Regarding human casualties, monitors have only reported the injury of an unspecified number on the 19th September. All attacks have resulted in an extensive loss of farmland. Aside from the loss of food potential, these attacks serve as a psychological attack on civilians.

Arrest and Torture of Two Youth Civil Society Activists in Al-Qadarif

A force composed of NISS personnel led by Lieutenants Ali and Yousif raided the house of a civil society activist by the name of Gaafar Khidir in Deim Al-Nour West on the 10th September. During the raid they detained three individuals, two of which have been named as Abdalla Osman Mohamed and Abass Mustafa Bakhiet, both of who are 18 year-old students at the University of Al-Qadarif and the University of Sudan respectively. Abdalla Osman Mohamed is also the Deputy Secretary of Al-Sharoog Cultural Centre. He was released at night after suffering torture and other ill-treatment. Abass Mustafa Bakhiet is a member of the Democratic Front and was also tortured, though he was released later that day. Monitors have thus far been unable to identify the third individual arrested.


Using the incident reports from our monitors over the month of September, SUDO (UK) recommends the following:

To the Government of Sudan

To the Armed Opposition Groups


Incident Reports

North Darfur


A Janjaweed militia attacked Dobo Al-Omda killing local resident Idris Hassan Ibrahim, aged 80, in addition to injuring four and abducting two civilians. The injured individuals are named as:

  1. Abdelhamid Fadl Ahmed – 30 year-old resident of Dobo Al-Omda;
  2. Abdalla Musa Mohamed – 40 year-old resident of Dogo;
  3. Musa Hassan Ahmed – 40 year-old resident of Dogo;
  4. Abdalla Musa Mohamed – 35 year-old resident of Kotoor.

The two abducted individuals are named as:

  1. Ibrahim Suleiman Salih, aged 42;
  2. Al-Amin Adam Haroon, aged 43.


Unknown perpetrators killed Mohamed Ahmed Arbab, aged 52, in his home in Al-Wadi neighbourhood north of Souq Al-Mawashi in Al-Fashir.


A 15 year-old girl was raped multiple times by members from a Janjaweed militia in her farm situated in Wadi Bargo, east of Kabakabeyia airport. The sexual assault occurred whilst the grandmother of the victim was present. The grandmother died shortly after the incident.


A Janjaweed militia led by Ali Al-Hilo attacked a nomad settlement between Martal and Goz Dor El-Taaban in Fanga area at 10:00. Eyewitness accounts state that the militia arrived on 15 camels and six horses, armed with Kalashnikovs and G3 rifles.

During the attack three girls, aged 14, 15 and 17, were raped. The girls were later treated using traditional medicines. Furthermore, Abubakr Abdelmageed Ahmed, aged 35 and father to six children, was abducted during the attack.

Eyewitnesses further state that they went to the police in Fanga in order to file a case; however, not only did the police fail to act, but also they further threatened to kill them.


Two members of a Janjaweed militia raped an 18 year-old girl in her farm situated near Fanga. The girl was later found naked in a terrible condition and was immediately taken to Malam hospital for treatment. The police have been informed; however, no action has been taken.


A Janjaweed militia under the command of Musa Hilal attacked the offices of Urban Planning in Kebkabeyia at around 02:00. During the attack they threatened to kill the guard, before looting the office of its belongings and firing their guns in the air. Upon hearing the sound of gunfire, the police rushed to the scene and exchanged fire with the perpetrators. The militia escaped after throwing a grenade into the office causing it to explode. They then left the scene of the incident on four 4x4 vehicles and six motorcycles. It is believed that they fled to Misteriya, the location of Musa Hilal’s headquarters.


Militiamen from the Janjaweed briefly abducted a student whilst she was on her way to school in Kabkabeyia in order to commit acts of sexual violence. When she failed to arrive at school that day the schools administration reported her absence to the girl’s parents who later found her unconscious on the outskirts of the city having been sexually assaulted. The victim has received treatment at the hospital and the incident has been reported to the police.


Eight members of a Janjaweed militia raped three girls in Abu Zaid Agricultural Scheme. The girls, aged 15, 18, and 23, were found unconscious and immediately transported to the hospital in Shangel Tobayie. The police have been informed, but no action has been taken.


Members from the Rapid Support Forces attacked Hawa Mohamed Gumaa in her farm near Fanga with the intention of sexually assaulting her. Hawa Mohamed Gumaa resisted their efforts and was shot dead during the struggle. The police in Fanga have been informed.


The Sudanese Air Force dropped 12 barrel bombs using Antonov planes in the area around Fanga. Vast areas of farmland were destroyed and two IDPs were killed during the aerial attack. The two civilians killed were named as Mariam Omer Ishag and Ishag Suleiman Salih.


The Border Guard militia, led by Badr Abu Keneish, attacked villages in the north of Kutum at 16:00. Eyewitness reports state that the militia attacked Amrai from the west and south wearing military uniform and riding aboard seven 4x4 vehicles, 10 motorcycles, and 45 horses. The force fired indiscriminately killing:

  1. Abdelgadir Asil Adam – the Headmaster of Amrai Preliminary School, aged 48, Zaghawa;
  2. Al-Tahir Hamid Hammad – the Chief of Amrai, aged 65, Zaghawa;
  3. Deibo Awadi, aged 60, Zaghawa.

In addition to killing the above three persons, the militia looted personal property and forcibly displaced civilians. Following the attack the militia withdrew towards Guba, southwest of Kutum.


For the second day in a row the Border Guard militia, led by Badr Abu Keneish, attacked civilians in their homes. This time the militia attacked the villages of Kerbi Solo, Hillat Tahir, Hillat Abakr, Hillat Noreen, Hillat Mohamoud Ahmed, and Anka, killing:

  1. Suleiman Awad Tahir – a 45 year-old from Amrai;
  2. Hamid Eisa Wali – a 41 year-old from Hillat Noreen.

And injuring Abdelkarim Ali, aged 52, from Anka. The militia again looted the villages, physically assaulted the civilians, and forcibly displaced them to the mountains and streambed northwest of Kutum.


For the third day in a row the militia under the command of Badr Abu Keneish continued to attack villages north of Kutum. This time the militia, with an increased strength, attacked Wadi Anka, Goldi, Amrai, Ojo, Gargisiki and Birdeb. This force consisted of 19 vehicles, 60 camels, 32 horses and 10 motorcycles. During this third day of attacking civilian populations, the militia killed:

  1. Musa Adam Farah – A.K.A Wad Ageeb, a 35 year-old Tungur from Ojo;
  2. Slih Abakr Mursal – a 46 year-old Zaghawa from Goldi;
  3. Adam Sabir Ali – a 29 year-old Zaghawa from Anka;
  4. Ibrahim Al-Tahir Nafal – a 41 year-old Zaghawa from Anka; - Hamid Musa Wani – a 32 year-old Zaghawa from Birdeb.

The militia further looted 226 camels, 280 goats, 86 cows, and two lorries full of commercial goods.


IDPs from Rwanda Camp in Tawila were attacked 5km from the camp by a Janjaweed militia after they had left to collect pudding for their donkeys.

An eyewitness informed SUDO (UK) monitors that they were attacked by seven Janjaweed militia members wearing military uniform and riding three horses and two camels, at 16:00. Prior to the attack the militiamen stated that people from the Fur ethnic group were forbidden from exiting the camps, and furthermore demanded to know why they were there. When nobody replied the militiamen opened fire killing Abdalla Haroon Musa, aged 45, and abducting Mubark Eisa Abdelrahman, aged 31.

Following the incident the militiamen withdrew to Um-Galbag, 25km north of Tawila. This location is known as the headquarters for the Janjaweed militia under the command of Ibrahim Awadain. Ibrahim Awadain is furthermore under the command of renowned militia leader Badr Abu Keneish.

Once the survivors returned to the camp they informed UNAMID and the police, but no action was taken.


A unit from the Rapid Support Forces attacked the villages of Karboslon and Hilat Khatir killing Suleiman Awad Tahir and Hamid Musa Wali. During the attack Abdelkarim Ali was injured, and a number of children fled into the bush to escape and to this day continue to be missing.

Following this incident the Rapid Support Forces moved to attack the villages of Amar, Hilat Abakr, Hilat Norain and Hilat Mahmoud, where they looted the belongings of the villagers and caused their displacement.


Members from the Border Guards attacked the village of Nimra at 10:00am riding aboard two Landcruiser vehicles. The men destroyed 250 houses, looted civilian possessions, abducted an individual name Haroon, and raped two women aged 17 and 32, respectively. The civilians have been displaced to nearby mountains.


A Janjaweed militia attacked and looted the market in the town of Tawila, firing indiscriminately upon civilians in the process, killing:

  1. Mohamed Isag Momen, A.K.A Mastoor, 55, Berti;
  2. Dereig Ibrahim Mohamed, 32, Fur;
  3. Adam Yousif, 27, Fur;
  4. Abdo Mohamed Hassan, 24, Tungur;
  5. Mohamed Adam Omer, 45, Tungur;
  6. Ali Hassan Adam, 35, Fur;
  7. Mariam Abdelrahman Abdalla, 33, Zaghawa;
  8. Sayat Adam Hassan, 35, Tungur;
  9. Asma Noreen, 40, Tungur.


  1. Mohamed Ibrahim Adam, A.K.A Shatta, 19;
  2. Hussein Ismail Bushara, 36, Zaghawa;
  3. Abdelghani Mohamed Salih, 40, Tungur.

The militia came from the direction of Um-Galbag, 25 km from Tawila, and were led by Zakaria Hassan. Zakaria Hassan is under the command of Badr Abu Keneish. The force wore military uniforms and arrived on 50 camels, 24 horses, and 10 motorcycles. Neither the police nor UNAMID interfered in order to protect the civilians.

NB. Tawila has long hosted survivors who have escaped the killing, destruction of villages and systematic rape in Darfur since 2003. The civilians in order to protect themselves resided close to the Rwandan Peacekeepers that were first a part of AMIS before being incorporated into UNAMID. Consequently, the emerging camp took the name of Rwanda IDP Camp. The market that was attacked operates twice a week, every Saturday and Tuesday, and is home to merchants who bring their goods from Al-Fashir and Korma, in addition to farmers who bring the fruits of their harvests for trading.


On the 28th August 2015, SUDO (UK) monitors reported the abduction of three individuals and the hijacking of three commercial lorries by the Sudan Liberation Army – Abdel-Wahid (SLA-AW). One of those abducted, El-Tayeb Mohamed Al- Imam, has since been released in order to inform the families of the abductees that they must pay SDG 6,000 in order to secure their release. If this payment is not met, SLA-AW has informed the families that the traders will be killed.

El-Tayeb Mohamed Al-Imam further states that the goods of the three vehicles have been seized, and further that one merchant was killed following the ambush where he was left for dead in the open. The murder took place as members from SLA-AW were driving the abductees and looted goods to the prison situated in Logofi Bargo.


Members from the Border Guard militia wearing military uniform attacked the villages of Sharfa and Hilat Adoma. Arriving on armed Landcruiser vehicles, camel- back and horses, the militia looted civilian homes before setting them on fire in addition to the surrounding farms. During the attacks a 16 year-old girl was raped. Following the militia assault the villagers fled to the mountains.


A Janjaweed militia under the command of Badr Abu Keneish forcibly entered a large number of livestock – camels, cows, goats and sheep – into the farms and gardens of Abu Sakeen. Upon encountering the farmers, the militia opened fire causing their displacement to Kutum. Upon their arrival in Kutum, the farmers informed the army – as there are no police in Kutum – of the situation, but no action was subsequently taken.

Following their displacement, the Janjaweed militia cut down the fruit bearing trees in the gardens, set the pumping stations on fire, and grazed their livestock. The militia continues to be present in the area to this day.

NB. Abu Sakeen lays 20km north of Korma. It is an agricultural area where gardens are reserved for fruit production, and the farms for the production of vegetables. Abu Sakeen has more than 125 boreholes with pumping units, which is composed of a pump and a diesel engine. The borehole depths are between 7 to 12 metres.


A Janjaweed militia attacked the village of Haraz in East Jebel Marra, destroying it and looting it of its contents in the process. They further burned the surrounding farms saving only one in order to feed their livestock. The villagers have fled their homes and have found sanctuary in the mountains nearby. The local authorities have been informed of the situation; however, no action has been taken.


A Janjaweed militia attacked the village of Kungara, situated north of Tabit. The militia attacked on seven Landcruiser vehicles beating the residents and looting their personal possessions. The villagers have since been displaced to Zamzam IDP Camp.


A Janjaweed militia attacked villagers in their farms situated in the Abu Zaid agricultural scheme, in addition to the surrounding villages and Dobo village. During the attacks they beat the civilians and looted their properties with further threats of forcibly displacing them from their homes.

South Darfur


Six persons riding aboard two motorcycles attacked students from the Fur ethnic group in Kass Secondary Boys School killing Musa Adam Ali and injuring three others. Five of the perpetrators were wearing military uniform, whilst the sixth member was wearing black trousers and a shirt. Those injured were:

  1. Mansour Mohamed Mohamed;
  2. Mohamed Abdalla Osman;
  3. Eisa Ibrahim Musa.


Members from a Janjaweed militia entered Al-Salam IDP Camp in Nyala and abducted an underage girl for the purpose of rape. The girl in question was raped multiple times and later found unconscious. The victim has received treatment at the camps clinic and the police have been informed.


Six members of the Rapid Support Forces entered Otasch IDP Camp for the purpose of looting a shop. This plan was thwarted when the men came across a number of IDPs present who resisted their attempts. In response the Rapid Support Forces members opened fire on the IDPs killing Abdall Ismail - the store’s owner, Abdalla Yousif and Mohamed Diktor. In response a larger group of IDPs assembled forcing the attackers to flee. During this incident the Camp’s Police and UNAMID were in close proximity; however, they did not intervene.


Four Janjaweed militiamen hijacked a vehicle from Hai Al-Gamhoriya neighbourhood in Nyala. The incident occurred at 20:00.


A student was shot three times and killed by three members of a Janjaweed militia when he successfully intervened to save a girl from attempted rape in Wadi Berlei, separating Nyala into north and south. The student was walking past the location of the attack when he intervened, leading to the three militiamen shooting him dead before fleeing the scene. The three men have since been apprehended by the police and are now in custody awaiting trial.


Um Eldin Ibrahim, aged 50, was attacked in her farm by members from a Janjaweed militia in the area of Hashaba in Gereida locality. Um Eldin Ibrahim was beaten until she was unconscious where upon the men stole her belongings including a donkey and cart. The woman was found by farmers working in the area and taken to the hospital in Gereida. The police have been informed.


Four members of the Border Guards killed Hawa Khalil Adam, aged 50, in her farm in Tor Ta’an situated in Beleil locality. Hawa Khalil Adam resides in Otasch IDP Camp in Nyala; however, she had built a small hut in her farm in order to guard against the farm being used by livestock for grazing. It was in this small hut that Hawa Khalil Adam was attacked whilst she was sleeping with her daughter. At 02:00 militiamen wearing military uniform and riding on camel back attacked the small hut. Fortunately the daughter was able to escape, though Hawa Khalil Adam was fatally wounded. The daughter had informed relatives of the situation who arrived in time to find Hawa Khalil Adam still alive. Hawa Khalil Adam was taken to hospital in Nyala where she passed away. A case has been filed with the police but no action has been taken.


The Transitional Darfur Authority has formed committees to empty eight IDP Camps in Kass, home to some 235,000 IDPs. The current plan is to send the IDPs to the areas of Gerlang Banj, Rotoki and Korley, all of which are stated to have been occupied by new settlers. The IDPs concerned are resisting such attempts to move them as they fear for their lives and do not feel safe enough outside of the camps.


A Janjaweed militia travelling on Landcruiser vehicles, camel, and horseback, attacked a commercial lorry on its way from the market in Abu Jula to Jogana in Gereida locality. The militia fired upon the vehicle causing it to stop, whereupon they continued firing resulting in the injury of:

  1. Aboud Ali;
  2. Eisa Elhaj;
  3. Mohamed Haran.

The whereabouts of two other passengers are currently unknown. They are:

  1. Mustafa Ali;
  2. Mohammed Ali.

The injured were rescued by the owners of the lorry, accompanied by other civilians, who managed to get the injured to hospital.


Monitors further noted another incident occurring on the same road on the same day where they believe the perpetrators to be the same militia as those on the previous incident report. This time six militiamen attacked a Land Rover vehicle injuring the driver. Despite this, the driver was able to continue to Jogana where he received medical treatment.

Both incidents have been reported to the police; however, no action has been taken.


Three Janjaweed militia members hijacked a 4x4 vehicle in Nyala, driving in the direction of Al-Riyad neighbourhood. The hijackers then, for reasons unknown, closed the Congo road to traffic using the car, resulting in a traffic jam. Two traffic policemen who sought to bring things to order were set upon by the militia members. Consequently one policeman was killed named Atif Ahmed Sherfedin and another injured. The militiamen then immediately fled the scene in the hijacked vehicle.

Following this incident they were pursued by forces including the police, army and intelligence services. Eventually they were apprehended and are currently detained in police custody in Nyala.


A Janjaweed militia assaulted six civilians who had been mining for gold in the Al- Radoom area. The civilians were returning home for Eid when they were attacked and had their personal possessions looted. The police have been informed of the event, but no action has been taken.


Khalid El-Tigani, a 35 year-old civil servant at the Immunisation section of the Ministry of Health in Nyala, was stopped by two persons at gunpoint whilst driving his office car and attacked. Fortunately he was rescued by nearby civilians who recovered the car and took him to Nyala hospital.


Members from the Border Guards attacked and raped three women returning from their farms to the IDP Camp in Haraza situated in Jogana area, resulting in the death of one of the women. The incident occurred at 17:00, whereupon the Border Guard militiamen fled the scene following the death of one of the women as a result of a gunshot wound to her chest. Before fleeing, the Border Guards looted their belongings including the donkeys and the carts they were using as transportation.

The two survivors were taken to Gereida for treatment after civilians came across them as they too returned from their farms to the camp. The police were informed though no action was taken as the police claimed they lacked fuel for their vehicles in order to pursue the perpetrators.


Four armed Janjaweed militiamen wearing military uniform attacked an underage girl in her farm near the IDP Camp in Tor. After the girl was beaten and threatened, she was raped by each of the four men and left unconscious.

The girl’s father later found her unconscious. She was immediately taken to Kass hospital and a case was filed with the police. The authorities have since taken no action.


Two Janjaweed militia members attacked and raped an underage girl in her farm near Manawashi. On hearing her cries neighbours hurried to rescue her and apprehended the militiamen. It was later found that the men had previously belonged to a group that had killed 15 civilians in Hamada last year (SUDO (UK), Savage Janjaweed Attack on IDPs in Manawashi Area, November 26th 2014, manawashi-area.html). The girl has since been sent for treatment and the men have been handed to the police where they are now in custody awaiting trial. The men alleged to have perpetrated the crime have been named as Elsadig Ishag Tereibo and Mahmoud Musa.

Central Darfur


SUDO (UK) monitors were alerted to a 20 year-old member of the Rapid Support Forces who had fled his unit following orders from his superiors to rape three young girls. Hamdan Ibrahim fled the Rapid Support Forces camp situated in Golo, West Jebel Marra.

Hamdan Ibrahim has since been apprehended and arrested by the Intelligence Unit within the Rapid Support Forces.


Members from a Janjaweed militia attacked and raped a female IDP on the outskirts of Garsila IDP Camp. The victim was found in a terrible condition and was taken to Zalingei hospital. The police have been informed but no action has been taken.


Members from a Janjaweed militia attacked two civilians who were on their way from Tor to Nertiti. One of the civilians was a 25 year-old woman who was subsequently raped and left lying in the road to be found by another civilian and taken to hospital. The other civilian was a 30 year-old man by the name of Ismail Abdelaziz who is believed to have been abducted by the militia. The police have been informed.


A Janjaweed militia attacked the Bargei area in Bindisi locality killing 12 civilians. A child named Zahir Hassan Abdalla and his mother were among those killed.


Six Janjaweed militia members attacked three IDP women in their farms situated in Wadi Zango, west of Nertiti, with the purpose of sexually assaulting them. The women resisted their attackers and were shot, causing serious injury. The militiamen escaped the scene and the women were taken to the hospital situated in Zalingei. The police in Nertiti have been informed, but no action has been taken.


Abdalla Omer Mohamed was killed by members of the Border Guards on his way back home to his village of Kala from the market in Amar Gadeed. The incident occurred at 18:00 as the Border Guards militiamen riding on camel back stopped the victim, looted his personal possessions and shot him dead. A case has been filed with the police in Zalingei, though no action has since been taken.


At 12:00, 10 members of the Border Guards attacked civilians in their farms around the area of Mukjar with the intention of looting civilian possessions and committing acts of sexual violence. During the attack the militiamen attempted to rape Sameera Adam Abdelmoula in her farm; however, she resisted their attempts leading to her death by gunshot wounds. In another nearby farm two girls and their mother were raped until they fell unconscious. The families of the victims later found them and filed a case with the police in Mukjar. No action has been taken since.


Members of a Janjaweed militia attacked and killed Ibrahim Ali Dawood, an IDP, when he was returning to Khamsa Dagaig IDP Camp situated in Zalingei from his farm. The attackers killed Ibrahim Ali Dawood, looted his personal possessions, and then fled the scene. The police have been informed; however, no action has been taken.


Five Janjaweed militia members killed Ali Abdalla, a local merchant, in his home situated in Al-Jebel Camp in Nertiti. After shooting the victim the militiamen looted SDG 3,500. The police have been informed but no action has been taken.

Blue Nile


Five plain clothed members of Military Intelligence arrested three farmers for reasons currently unknown. Osman Mohamed Yen, Ismail Nimir and Andrew Doka – aged 35, 45 and 46 respectively – have all been taken to the Military Intelligence offices in the Army headquarters in Damazin.


Ali Moon, a 65 year-old Ingessana Omda of Fadimia, was detained by Military Intelligence at his home in Fadimia. Ali Moon stands accused of communicating with the SPLM-N by mobile phone. He is currently detained at the Military Intelligence offices in the Army headquarters in Damazin.


Abood Ali Noor, a 22 year-old student from Bao locality residing in Al-Shaheed Afendi, was arrested by Military Intelligence. Abood Ali Noor stands accused of communicating with SPLM-N forces in Kelgo Mountain through mobile technology. Monitors state that he is being tortured inside the Military Intelligence offices inside the Army headquarters in Damazin.


The Sudanese Air Force bombarded Bileng and Dokan Mohamed Ali in Al-Kurmuk locality using an Apache Helicopter. The attack occurred at 17:00, killing four civilians. The Sudanese Army have claimed that they were engaging SPLM-N forces that had captured the Sudanese Armed Forces and Popular Defence Forces garrison in Bileng.


Kindi Hamid, a 65 year-old farmer from the Ingessana ethnic group, was arrested at his home in Eastern Hai situated within El-Roseris city by Military Intelligence. During his arrest Kindi Hamid was beaten in front of his family before being taken to the containers in the Army headquarters in Damazin. Kindi Hamid stands accused of communicating with SPLM-N; however, inside sources note that he is being detained due to personal problems with the Bao Commissioner.


Khalaf Hago, the former advisor for Humanitarian Affairs during the Governorship of Malik Agar was arrested by Military Intelligence for reasons unknown. He is currently being held in a container in the Army headquarters in Damazin. Since his arrest he has been forbidden from taking his medicines or washing himself.


Military Intelligence arrested Suleiman Farag, aged 27, at his home in Al-Zubeir neighbourhood in Damazin. Suleiman Farag stands accused of communicating with the SPLM-N and supplying them with information. Monitors state that he is being tortured whilst in detention at the Sudanese Army Fourth Division headquarters in Damazin.


A Falata ethnic militia, supported by the Government of Sudan, has caused the displacement of 5,000 persons from Abugarin situated in Bao locality. The displaced have fled to Damazin following attacks on civilian property and civilian life. Eyewitnesses state that the militia is raping their daughters, looting their homes, and beating anyone in sight.


In last month’s August report, SUDO (UK) named 17 individuals who are being held in containers in the Army headquarters in Damazin by the Sudanese Military Intelligence unit. These 17 individuals are a part of a larger group of some 100 detainees being held in inhumane conditions.

The following list is comprised of individuals identified by SUDO (UK) monitors as being detained in the containers. The first 17 individuals below have already been named as detained in containers, whilst the following five names were already detained  but have just recently been named. The final three names are new additions as explicitly stated by our monitors during this month:

  1. Awad Gago;
  2. Aleid Younis;
  3. Gumaa Hamdoon;
  4. Hassan Awad;
  5. Ali Alim Moon;
  6. Aboud El-Jack;
  7. Al-Omda Wad Bari;
  8. Abas Abu Jo;
  9. Gadgin Mohamed Ahmed; 
  10. Haroon Libis Tarzi;
  11. Aboud Ali El-Nour;
  12. Abdelrazig Adam;
  13. Hassan Wad Kelgo;
  14. Al-Mak Bakha;
  15. Haroon Murad;
  16. Suleiman Tukul Tarabaiza;
  17. Beshir Kadis;
  18. Jaklo Mulah;
  19. Hussein Hamad Malfa;
  20. Abu Al-Hol Tunor;
  21. Eisa Ramadan;
  22. Serbit Osman;
  23. Suleiman Farag;
  24. Kindi Hamid;
  25. Khalaf Hago.

South Kordofan


NISS officials violated the religious rights of Mariam Osman upon the death of her husband. Her husband was an SPLM-N soldier fighting in the bush, and in accordance with Islamic teaching, Mariam Osman is to stay at home for four months and 10 days.

In the following days of her husband’s death she was approached by NISS officials who demanded her to cease mourning her dead husband due to the fact that he was a rebel. Consequently, Mariam Osman is unable to mourn her husband’s death for fear of retribution, and has had to cancel any planned ceremonies.


Julud, an area controlled by SPLM-N, was bombarded by the Sudanese Armed Forces through the use of SHIHAB, which are Iranian Artillery Rockets. The bombardment caused heavy damage to farmland.


The Sudanese Air Force bombarded areas under the control of SPLM-N near Um Dorain. The aerial bombardments were delivered by a MiG Fighter Jet and caused extensive damage to farmland. No human casualties have been reported.


Antonov planes dropped 11 barrel bombs over Trogi and Angolo, situated southeast of Kauda and west of Talodi. Once again there were no reports of human causalities; however, there has again been report of damage to farmland.


Antonov planes dropped 10 bombs on Allibo and Tabalo in Um Dorain locality causing destruction to farmland.


Antonov planes bombarded Um Sirdiba and Al-Nagra causing injury to civilians and destruction of farms.


Two unknown persons, one of whom was wearing a military uniform, attacked Alaadin Ibrahim Al-Balali whilst he was walking from his family home in Agoz neighbourhood to his home in Al-Maasir neighbourhood, both situated in Dilling, at 22:30.

It was on this road that Alaadin Ibrahim Al-Balali was engaged in a struggle with the armed men. As the armed men raised their weapons Alaadin Ibrahim Al-Balali ran at the aggressors who began firing. The victim was able to engage one of them in a struggle without being hit. During the struggle the other man struck Alaadin Ibrahim Al-Balali and he fell to the ground. The armed men took this opportunity to steal his mobile phone and fled the scene, not realising that the victim had two such devices. Once he regained consciousness he rang his brother who came to his aid. From discussions with his brother the victim stated that another individual was attacked and looted two days ago in a similar location.

The location of this incident is just three minutes walk from the Dilling Commissioner’s home.


Antonov planes bombarded the villages of Um Sirdiba and Al-Nagra for the second time in 10 days. The first bombardment occurred on the 19th September as outlined in a previous incident report.


After the failure of the Government’s second decisive summer campaign to bring an end to the rebellion in the Nuba Mountains, they asked ethnic leaders from the areas controlled by the armed opposition movement to approach the SPLM-N asking them to abandon their struggle and accept peace.

For this mission the Government offered each leader SDG 3,000. Many leaders and Sheikhs refused the offer; however, some leaders from Shat (a clan within the Nuba ethnic group) villages accepted to go.

Three leaders from Southern Kadugli rural localities left to meet with the SPLM-N in Al-Buram, the location of the largest SPLM-N camp. Three days after their departure they were found dead on the way to Al-Buram, with sources indicating the SPLM-N as responsible for their killings. One of the leaders was found mutilated by decapitation.

Eastern Sudan


The National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) have removed a civil society organisation from the hospital in Al-Fao situated in Al-Qadarif state, on the instruction of the hospitals administration.

The group in question is named “Mubadrt Sharia Al-Hawadith”, the translation of which is the “Emergency or Outpatient Road Initiative”. The initiative was set up to support outpatients that cannot afford to undergo medical tests or to buy medicines. In this manner it supports vulnerable persons and at the same time solicits donations to undertake renovations or new constructions in hospitals.

Prior to being forcibly removed, the organisation had faced harassment by the hospitals administration and had been referred to as a “Jewish” organisation. The term "Jewish" in this context is often used throughout Sudan by authorities in order to label organisations of individuals as serving the purposes of "enemies" to the country and therefore as a means to undermine and threaten them.

Following their forced removal, members of the group have faced detention by NISS, whilst others have been summoned to NISS offices for questioning. It is worth noting that the members of the group were not allowed to enter the hospital for the inauguration of a paediatric ward that they had funded. Rather the State Minister of Health as well as the hospitals administration claimed the credit for the newly built ward.

Those arrested included:

  1. Mohamed El-Fatih El-Safi;
  2. Mohamed Khalid;
  3. Nadir Taha;
  4. Mugahid Hassan;
  5. Two unknown girls were arrested and then released.

August/September 2015

Ali Akasha, a traffic police officer in Al-Qadarif, has ordered the confiscation of all three wheeled vehicles locally referred to as “Raksha”. These vehicles are widely used for transport within the town. Many owners of Raksha have furthermore been arrested and imprisoned. This follows on from an incident where it is believed that some Raksha drivers attacked a non-commissioned police officer by the name of Al- Toum Hamdan following accusations of corruption on the part of Al-Toum Hamdan. It has been stated that the police officer penalised Raksha drivers for no reason and would fine them an extortionate amount of money.


A group of NISS members, under the leadership of Lieutenant Ali and Lieutenant Yousif raided the house of a civil society activist by the name of Gaafar Khidir in Deim Al-Nour West. During the raid they confiscated the activist’s personal possessions including laptop, books, personal papers and money.

The NISS furthermore detained the following individuals:

  1. Abdalla Osman Mohamed, an 18 year-old student in the Faculty of Computer Sciences in the University of Al-Qadarif and Deputy Secretary of Al-Sharoog Cultural Centre. Abdalla Osman Mohamed was released at night after being tortured and suffering ill-treatment at the hands of NISS. A laptop belonging to Al-Sharoog Cultural Centre was also confiscated, but returned after three days. Abdalla Osman Mohamed was asked to return to NISS offices four days later for further investigations.
  2. Abass Mustafa Bakhiet, an 18 year-old student in the University of Sudan and member of the Democratic Front – a student led political organisation. He was also subject to torture and ill-treatment, though was released later on that day.
  3. An unknown person was arrested whilst passing near the house, though their identity is currently unknown.

Incident Tags